|Kelly Bryson, MA, MFT is the author of the best selling book, “Don’t Be Nice, Be Real – Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others”. He is a licensed therapist in private practice, lecturer, workshop facilitator, and consultant. He has been an authorized trainer for the International Center for Nonviolent Communication for over 20 years, and has trained thousands in the US, Europe, and the Middle East. Kelly is also a humorist, guitarist, singer, and songwriter.||Testimonials and References|
Academic Education University of Florida – B.A. in Psychology University of West Georgia – M.A. in Humanistic Psychology University of Humanistic Studies, Del Mar, CA – Study of Family Systems TheoryUnited States International University, San Diego – Doctoral Program in Marriage, Family & Child Therapy
Director of The Center for Compassion a Non Profit community organization providing education in Compassionate Nonviolent Communication(sm) to organizations and individuals, conflict resolution locally and internationally and therapist in private practice treating individuals, couples, and families. Certified Trainer for The International Center for Nonviolent Communication(tm), Teacher at Celebrations of Love, adjunct faculty for Prescott College, cofounder of Nonviolent Communication Santa Cruz.
1972 – 1976 The Drug Project, Gainesville, Fla.
Group and Individual Counselor
1976 – 1982 Sunland Center, Gainesville, Fla.
1982 – 1984 Restaurant Manager, Orlando, Fla.
1985 – 1987 Family Resource Center, Newnan, Ga.
1987 – 1991 New Alternatives, San Diego, Ca.
Adolescent and Family Therapist/Social Worker
1991 – 1992 House of Hope (Part Time) San Diego, Ca.
Adolescent Offenders Counselor
1991 – Present Therapist in Private Practice Certified trainer for the International Center for Nonviolent Communication and Director of The Center for Compassion
1993 – Present Body Mind College, School of Healing Arts, & Healing Hands School
1994 – Present Palomar College, Teacher
1994 – Present University of California Long Beach, Graduate Level Teacher
Certification, Licenses, Associations
Marriage, Family and Child Counselor License by the Board of Behavioral Science Examiners of the State of California. License # MFC28270
Authorized Trainer – International Center for Nonviolent Communication for 20 years
Psi Chi – The National Honor Society in Psychology At United States International University
California Community College Instructor Credential – Full Instructor in Psychology (Valid for Life) # 17622
Book: “Don’t be Nice, Be Real – Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others. Cover Text: A Handbook to compassionate communication” by Kelly Bryson MFT. – Selected by Barnes & Noble for front table placement and promotion.
Book: The Marriage of Sex and Spirit an anthology co-authored by Kelly Bryson MFT and Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, John Gray, Scott Peck, John Bradshaw, Gay Hendricks, Harriet Lerner, Wayne Dyer, Thich Nhat Hanh, Riane Eisler, Barbara Marx Hubbard
Elle Magazine Jan. 2003 – Feature article entitled “Mad for Each Other”
Shape Magazine – May 2005 Issue Feature article: “What’s Your Honesty Policy?”
Cover Story & Picture – The Light Connection Dec. 2002
Book: “The Places you could go, If you weren’t Afraid of NO!”
- E. Stanley Jones, Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi’s concierge and friend – He was a friend of the family who stayed with us, inspired Kelly to begin studying Nonviolence, and spoke at our high school auditorium.
- Virginia Satir – A 3 month training in “Healing Relationships through Conscious Change” in a Doctoral Program at United States International University.
- Dr. Scott Peck – Foundations of Community Encouragement
- Elizabeth Kubler Ross – Treatment of the “Terminally Ill”
- John Bradshaw – Treatment of Chemical Dependence, Codependency, Depression, Abandonment, Shame, and Healthy Communication in the Family
- Rollo May – (Author of “Love and Will”) *Creativity
- Dr. Marshall Rosenberg – (Director of the International Center for Nonviolent Communication(sm)) Extensive training across the U.S. and internationally in Conflict Resolution and the Model for Nonviolent Communication over the past 20 years.
- Rep. John Vasconcellos – The Politics of the Mental Health Field
- Ram Dass – (Author of “Be Here Now”) Eastern Philosophy and the psychology of compassion.
- Gerald G. Jampolsky M.D.- (Author of “Goodbye to Guilt” and Director of the Centers for Attitudinal Healing) Treatment of excessive anger, guilt or fear.
- Jean Houston & Jack Canfield – Developing Human Potential
- Dr. Albert Ellis – Rational Emotive Therapy
- Marianne Williamson – Creating a Department of Peace in our Government
- Tony Robbins – Sustaining Motivation
- Rev. Dr. Mathew Fox – Creation Spirituality, A Spirituality Called Compassion, Spiritual Community Building
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, ScD. Captain USN – Noetic Sciences in understanding consciousness
- Rev. Dr. Michael Beckwith – The Science of Mind
- Dr. Warren Farrell – Men’s Issues and Empowerment
- Lynn Twist – The Soul of Money, Fundraising From the Heart
- Barbara Marx Hubbard – Conscious Evolution
- Rev. Mary Manin Morrissey – Creating Your Field of Dreams
- Yolanda King – Embracing Power
- Tenzin Choegyal Brother of His Holiness the Dalai Lama of Tibet – Compassion
- Gordon Davidson & Corrine McLaughlin – Visionary Leadership & Community Building
- Elisabeth Sahtouris, Ph.D. – Gaia – Living Systems in Evolution
- James O’Dea, President of Noetic Sciences, – Spirit of Human Rights and Compassion And Social Healing Dialogues.
- Joseph Chilton Pearce – Crack in the Cosmic Egg – Child Development
- Peter Russell – The Global Brain – Integrating Eastern and Western understandings of the mind.
- Brian Swimme, Ph.D. – The Epic of the Universe – Living as a Unified Energy.
- George Zimmer, CEO of The Men’s Warehouse – Spiritual Corporate Culture
- Michael Toms co-founder of New Dimensions Radio – Deep Democracy
- Jason Crow founder of The Cello Cries On – Uniting Youth for Human Rights
- John Haglin – Natural Law Party Presidential Candidate – The Quantum Physics of Higher Consciousness
- Stan Dale, Founder of the Human Awareness Institute, (Voice of the Lone Ranger) – Intimacy and Spiritual Dimensions of Sexuality
- David Whyte – Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
- Azim Khamisa – A Father’s Journey from Murder to Forgiveness
- Bill McDonough, FAIA Presidential Award Winner for Sustainable Development- Designing the next Industrial Revolution
A partial list of organizations for which we have provided training and presentations
Speaker at the Association for Global New Thought Conference (With Marianne Williamson, Jean Houston, etc) (AGNT) – Keynote Speaker for the California Peace Summit in Salina – Keynote Speaker for National Montessori Convention Invited by National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (NICABM)to speak at annual conference 2006 – Adult Children of Alcoholics – International Earth Stewards Multiracial Americans of Southern California – National Conference of Christians and Jews Green Circle – Codependents Anonymous – National Image Conference – Women’s Opportunity Week – San Diego Co. Human Resources Exchange – Wholistic Nurses Assn.- Keynote Speaker for the Loving More Convention – New Living Expo, San Francisco, Keynote Speaker for INCAF, International Network for Children and Families,
Hospitals & Health Services
Kelly has been teaching a course on Communication for Wellness with Eisendorf, Bruce R, MD – Santa Cruz Medical Clinic, San Diego Aids Foundation – Mission Bay Hospital – V.A. Hospital – Paradise Valley Hospitals Mother’s Drug Treatment Program – Mesa Vista Hospital’s PARTS Program (Parents & Adolescents Recovering Together Successfully) – Radar Institute of Sharp Cabrillo Hospital – San Diego Dept. of Health Services Staff Development & Training – Clairemont Neighborhood Recovery Center – Mid Coast Recovery Center in Pacific Beach, Ca. – New Alternatives – Parents without Partners – Center for Wellness, La Mesa – San Diego Center for Children in Imperial Beach – Escondido Serenity House – Above the Line, Santa Cruz
University of Belgrade (in Ex-Yugoslavia) Psychology Department – Secondary Education of the Republic of Croatia – Graduate level teaching at California State University, Long Beach – Palomar College – Fairbanks Country Day Montessori School – Orange Glen Elementary – Body/Mind College in Sorrento Valley – University of Professional Studies – San Diego State University’s Intersection House – San Diego City College Students for Conflict Resolution – Grossmont College – Healing Hands School of Holistic Health – School of Healing Arts – Palm Springs Elementary School – Prescott College (on adjunct faculty) – Orchard School, Aptos, Ca., Pacific Collegiate School, Santa Cruz.
The Episcopal Clericus (60 Episcopal Priests of San Diego County) – First United Methodist in Mission Valley – St. James Episcopal in La Jolla – Mission Hills United Methodist – Unitarian on Front St. – United Brethren, Old Town – Christ Church Unity – Church of Today – Pacific Church of Religious Science – San Diego Church of Religious Science – Bonita Church of Religious Science – El Cajon Church of R.S. – Unitarian Church of Long Beach – Course in Miracles of P.B. – Center for Creative Living in Mission Valley – Joyful Heart Church – Unity Temple Santa Cruz – Center for Conscious Living in Santa Cruz – Inner Light Ministries in Santa Cruz – Palm Springs Center of Positive Living, 1st Church of Religious Science, Oakland, Ca.
Associations & Businesses
Tony Robbins Research International – Bristol-Myers Squibb – John Paul Mitchell Systems – Barnes and Noble Bookstores Nation Wide – Herder & Hobbs Real Estate Advertising in Orange Co. – Noetic Sciences of Los Angeles – Great News – Anti War Campaign of Zagreb, Croatia – Balkan Peace Team of the Foundation of Reconciliation – Correymeala Community Foundation of N. Ireland – San Diego Vietnam Veterans Association – Optimists (Del Mar, El Cajon, Claremont) – Humanists – Image – Aids Buddies – American Women in Radio and Television – Wholistic Nurses – Bill Silva Presents – Psychologist’s Association of Kotor, Montenegro – Natanya Kibbutz, Israel – People’s Cooperative – Inside Edge – The Peace Club UC Irvine – First American Appraisal Services – Gateway Books in Santa Cruz – Center for Nonviolent Communication in Ashland, OR – Blooming Foods in Indiana – Sacnas, Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans, Santa Cruz, CA.
- NBC-TV Morning News San Francisco (KNTV),
- NBC-TV Morning NewsSan Diego (KNSD),
- ABC – AM Northwest (KATU-TV,Portland) (The Largest market morning show in the Northwest)
- ABC – KGTV San Diego, Ca
- CBS – Little Rock, Arkansas
- PBS TV in Santa Cruz, Ca
- KPFK-FM (NPR) Los Angeles, 90.7 “The Aware Show” in L.A., CA., Host: Lisa Garr
- KOPB-FM (PBS) Portland, Oregon
- KPBS-FM(PBS) San Diego “These Days with Tom Fudge”
- KPBS Radio Interview “These Days with Dan Erwin” –
- KEEL 710 AM, Louisiana Radio with host Dr. David McMillian (more than once) Strategies for Living on 50,000 Watt News Radio
- KUCI 88.9FM in Orange Co.with Host Gloria Zinger
- KTRS Radio from St. Louis, Mo. (heard in 6 states)
- KOPB-FM 91.5 (PBS) Portland Or., host Daniel Davis “Golden Hours”
- KKUP – FM 91.5 in San Jose, Ca.
- KNYR Santa Cruz
- Radio Kotor in Kotor, Montenegro (During the Balkan War)
- Elle Magazine Jan. 2003 – Feature profile article “Mad for Each Other”(The largest woman’s magazine in the world with 16 million readers)
- Shape Magazine Feature Article
- Dallas Morning News
- CBS Market Watch
- PR Newswire
- Health-e headlines
- The Reader feature article by Abe Opencar entitled “Big Fisted Optimism” –
- Visions Magazine
- The Light Connection Front Cover Picture of Kelly Bryson& Feature Story
- San Diego Weekly
- Awareness Magazine – Feature article
Kelly Bryson MA, MFT is the author of the best selling book:
Don’t be Nice, Be Real – Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others.
COVER TEXT: A Handbook to Nonviolent Communication (sm).
He has been featured in Elle and Shape magazine, chosen by Barnes and Noble for special promotion, seen on NBC news, ABC AM Northwest, CBS, and heard on NPR, KPBS, KPFK in L.A. A humorist, guitarist/singer/songwriter, & licensed therapist in private practice. He keynotes conventions (National Montessori, California Peace Summit in Salina), is an inspirational speaker, (Speaks at Sunday morning speaker for many churches, etc)
Presented at the Association for Global New Thought conference AGNT w/ Marianne Williamson, Jean Houston, etc.) and has been an authorized trainer for the international Center for Nonviolent Communication for over 20 years, and has trained thousands in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East. He trains, presents and consults with groups, corporations (Tony Robbins, Bristol Myers, Paul Mitchell Salons), churches (all flavors), schools, (U.Cal.L.B, Body/Mind College), clubs and all types of organizations. He also studied with E. Stanley Jones, Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi’s concierge and friend.